Expressing obligation in German, Italian, French, and Spanish

There are a number of ways to express obligation in language. My go to expressions involve the use
of auxiliary, or helping, verbs. I've written a list of those helping verbs below. In this lesson I'll focus solely on a simple sentence; so, there will be no conjunctions or changes of subjects.

Some of these expressions of obligation overlap with expressions of intention, but that's okay. They're all useful to know and even follow the same syntax.

As per usual, I will work in the first person, singular as a jumping off point.

Little or no obligation

I want to 

► yo quiero (Spanish)
► io voglio (Italian) 
► ich will (German) /ish vill/
► je veuz (French) /zhu vooh/

I can 

► yo puedo (Spanish)
► io posse (Italian) 
► ich kann (German) /ish kahn/
► je peux (French) /zhu pooh/

Mid

I should / ought to  

► yo debo (Spanish)
► io devrei (Italian)
►ich sollte (German) /ish zoll-tuh/
► je devrais (French) /zhu dev-reh/

High

I need to / have to / must

► yo tengo que, necesito (Spanish)
► io devo (Italian)
► ich muss (German) /ish mus/
► je dois (French) /zhu dwah/


Comments